Community service announcement
Planned burn Lake Weyba Bushland Reserve Network, PEREGIAN BEACH
Burn location: Lake Weyba Bushland Reserve Network, Nyell Rd (off Lakewood Drive), Peregian Beach
Date: Friday 4 June 2021
Time: Approximately 10am to 7pm
A section of Lake Weyba Bushland Reserve Network will undergo a prescribed burn on Friday 4 June, 2021, between 10am and 7pm, weather permitting, as a component of a larger Queensland Parks and Wildlife Noosa National Park burn and Sunshine Coast Council’s Bushfire Management Program.
A 20 hectare section of council land and 80 hectare section of Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services land is planned to be burnt and smoke impacts to surrounding residents and road users are expected to be minimal, however the reserve will be closed during the operation.
Smoke will be noticed in immediate areas surrounding Lake Weyba, including the following roads:
- Lakewood Drive
- Emu Mountain Road
- Eumarella Road
- Charlotte Drive
- Lake Weyba Drive
- Murdering Creek Road
- Smoke plumes may be noticed from further afield.
To reduce the impact on animals, a fauna corridor will be maintained for wildlife.
- help to reduce the amount of fuel on the ground before bushfire season
- help to lessen the intensity of any subsequent wildfires
- help plant species to survive that rely on fire to regenerate.
- Any threats to life and property call 000.
- Any residents affected by smoke are advised to close windows and doors, utilise air-conditioning and keep respiratory medication close at hand. Seek medical advice if you are susceptible to smoke impacts.
- As a precaution, road users are advised to drive to suit conditions with the potential for smoke to reduce visibility.
Residual smoke may be experienced for up to two days.